Health, Safety and Compliance Officer
- Location: Head Office, Orion Building Engineering Services Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7TE
- Full time Mon – Friday 08:00 – 17:00
- Competitive Salary
- 22 Days Annual Leave, Exclusive of bank holidays
- Company Pension, Phone, Laptop
We are looking to appoint a Health and Safety Officer on a permanent basis. We are particularly looking for candidates with experience within the Social Housing Sector or within the wide built environment as this position will deal extensively with the repair, maintenance, mechanical projects.
Key duties include:
- Advising, coaching and supporting employees in managing their health and safety (and that of others) by providing expert advice and support
- Deliver toolbox talks and audit workforce to ensure procedures are being adhered to as a part of company culture
- Complete incident investigations and reports and ensure recommendations are made for further risk minimisation
- Write RAMS (risk assessment method statements) for upcoming works/projects
- Work in partnership with colleagues and managers to guide and influence workforce development plans, utilising knowledge of developments in professional and best practices to identify the need for, design and evaluate bespoke interventions to build capacity and capability of services and the organisation.
- Establish clear fire safety arrangements at head office, training fire evacuation wardens, identifying a suitable evacuation point, and arranging, monitoring and reporting on regular fire drills.
- Ensure appropriate first aid coverage at head office, including arranging for the training of first aiders.
- Perform on site Health and Safety checks to ensure compliance with legislation
- Where required to lead on projects, work programmes and specific Health and Safety initiatives covering the range of Health and Safety activity, including lone worker protection, identification of suitable personal protective items, induction procedures, absence and employee wellbeing initiatives, market research and accreditation with relevant quality standards.
The ideal candidate:
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in order to explain health and safety processes to a range of people and to give presentations to groups
- negotiating skills to convince managers of the need to implement and maintain safety standards that may compromise speed or efficiency in the organisation
- patience and diplomacy because the profession requires a collaborative approach
- the ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately
- an investigative mind
- IT skills
- attention to detail
- a flexible approach to work
- an interest in the law and the ability to understand regulations
- a driving licence – essential for jobs involving travel between sites
- IOSH Certification
- NEBOSH Certification/Diploma or equivalent H&S Qualification
- Minimum 2 years’ experience required